Friday, December 30, 2011

That's Life

As 2011 winds down, I've been doing what I do at this time of every year-- remembering, reviewing, reflecting. For me, this process will not end at mid-night of Dec 31, but I will be much closer to drawing some conclusions and concerns, and will commit to some new choices for 2012.

For me, 2011 was a paradigm of the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. On the high side: I finished two new books that were released which included a very successful book signing tour in Florida and Georgia; knocked out a big-time "bucket list" item which was a 6500 mile motorcycle trip in 25 days with my long time best friend, Jerry Wagley; and then the topper which was the birth of our 8th grandchild--Reagan Emily Doyle, born to Chad and Joey Doyle on July 29th. There were many other highs but these were the biggies.

The lows? Will only mention two. (1)On our family beach trip in June, Chad & Joey were in an auto accident that put Joey in a Pensacola hospital with serious possibilities that she would give birth much too early. For 10 days, it was extremely scary and then it leveled out and they went home to Hilton Head where Joey was on bedrest for several weeks before delivering Little Peanut. (2) Totally unexpectedly, on July 29th (yes, the same day Reagan was born) I was in the cath lab where it was discovered that I had 5 blocked coronary arteries-- yes, that's 5 with blockage 80-90% in all of them. Five days later I had by-pass surgery and it was discovered that I was diabetic and had sleep apnea-- a trifecta of sorts!!! Before all of this was revealed, I had no history of high blood pressure, heart disease, nor diabetes. Since then I've been on a rigorous rehab program which will continue for a very long time, if not a lifetime.

Reflecting on all this means for me 2011 was a year with the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. How do I explain such? It's called life.

No comments: