Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Best is Yet to Come

A woman who had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and given three months to live, was getting her things "in order," so, she contacted her pastor to discuss certain aspects of her final wishes.

She told him which songs she wanted sung and which scriptures read at her funeral. "There's one more thing," she said excitedly. "I want to be buried with a fork in my right hand."

The pastor stood looking at the woman, not knowing quite what to say.

"That surprises you, doesn't it?" the woman asked.

"Well, to be honest, I'm puzzled by the request," said the pastor.

The woman explained. "In all my years of attending church socials and potluck dinners, when the dishes of the main course are being cleared, someone inevitably will announce, 'Keep your fork.' And everyone knows that a great dessert is coming-- like chocolate cake or deep-dish apple pie; something wonderful!"

"So, I just want people to see me there in that casket with a fork in my hand, and I want them to wonder 'What's with the fork?' Then, I want you to tell them: 'Keep your fork - the best is yet to come.'"

No comments: