Wednesday, September 2, 2009

THE FATHER WOUND IS HARD TO HEAL

He was 45 years old, had three earned doctorates, was president of a prestigious private college , which was his alma mater and his life-long dream.

He came in for intensive therapy, in his words, "Because I still feel like a 12-year-old boy trying to get my father's approval." He went on, "No matter what I did, it was never enough for my father. And as an adult, after each of my achievements, I feel good about myself for a brief period, then the cloud of despair settles in and I feel like I did at age 12, inadequate, inferior, and hopeless."

Like so many in our culture, this man had been taught that the sunlight of self-esteem would shine brightly through the window of academia and accomplishment. But it isn't so. High achievement is never a permanent cure for a man or woman with a father wound.

The man in this story found some healing for his father wound, with a stroke of sanity, so can you.

No comments: