Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11/2001

Where were you when you got the news on 9/11? No doubt every reader of this column can remember it all too well. Among the many things that strike me as I reminisce about that infamous day, and the days that followed, is the sense of unity that pervaded our nation. We were "one" for a time like no other in my memory and our country had support and empathy from people around the world, that too, like no other in my lifetime.

But, as Bob Dylan said, "Things Have Changed" and have they ever?! Why? How could this have happened? How could we have been so unified seven years ago and so divided today? How could we go from being globally surrounded with support from countries near and far, to being in the exact opposite position today? I won't try to answer for you but I have my own opinion and I'll just leave it at that.

And once again I'll pause to remember 9/11/01. Will you join me?

No comments: